Updated: Sep 10, 2019
This apple cake recipe has to be one of my favourites!
The apples provide natural sweetness and almond meal is a great gluten free alternative, it is high in protein, vitamin E as well as being low in carbohydrates. This recipe works well as muffins.
I use rapadura sugar in this cake, rapadura sugar is a unrefined cane sugar which is dried at low temperatures to maintain nutritional properties. I love it as there is no other processing involved, unlike other sugars that can be highly processed, refined and bleached. I buy my Rapadura sugar here.
APPLE ALMOND CAKE
2 large red apples, grated with skin on
2 free range eggs
1/3 cup rapadura sugar or rice malt syrup
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cups almond meal
Zest from one orange
1 teaspoon baking powder
Flaked almonds to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, olive oil and orange zest.
3. Combine almond meal, rapadura sugar & baking powder, add to wet ingredients and mix through until well combined.
5. Fold through apples.
6. Pour into round tin lined with baking paper & top with flaked almonds.
7. Bake for 60- 80 minutes or until it passes the skewer test.