This recipe is inspired by one of my favourite Croatian cakes. I've used Spelt Flour instead of regular flour and sweetened it with Rapadura Sugar. I love using Emmer flour as it is an ancient grain, it has a low glycemic index, lower in gluten and higher in fibre than regular flour. I buy my Emmer flour here.
Apple & Walnut Slice
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 cup walnuts, crushed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup rice malt syrup
3 egg whites
25g Rapadura Sugar
60g Spelt flour
Crushed walnuts to garnish
M E T H O D
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees. In a medium bowl, add all the crust ingredients, knead briefly to bring mixture together and place in lined baking tin (30 x 25cm), pressing the mixture down with your fingers.
2. For filling, peel and core apples. Cut into 1cm dice, place into saucepan and cover with water.
3. Simmer apples gently for approx, 6 minutes with lid on, until apples are soft. Drain water and mix through the syrup, cinnamon and walnuts. Spoon apple mixture over the crust in the baking tin.
4. Whisk the egg whites sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and beat for another 4-5 minutes.
5. Spoon the topping mixture over the apples and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
6. Top with crushed walnuts.