Updated: Oct 11, 2019
This recipe is inspired by one of my favourite Croatian cakes. I've used Emmer Flour instead of regular flour and sweetened it with Rapadura Sugar. I love using Emmer flour as it is an ancient grain, it has a low glycemic index, lower in gluten and higher in fibre than regular flour. I buy my Emmer flour here.
Apple & Walnut Slice
I N G R E D I E N T S
250g Emmer Flour or spelt flour
30g Rapadura Sugar
25g organic butter, softened
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon Greek yoghurt
1 cup walnuts, crushed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons Rapadura Sugar
M E T H O D
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees. In a medium bowl, add all the crust ingredients, knead briefly to bring mixture together and place in lined baking tin (30 x 25cm), pressing the mixture down with your fingers.
2. For filling, peel and core apples. Cut into 1cm dice, place into saucepan and cover with water.
3. Simmer apples gently for approx, 6 minutes with lid on, until apples are soft. Drain water and mix through the sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. Spoon apple mixture over the crust in the baking tin.
4. To make the topping separate the eggs, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and flour until light and fluffy. Add the flour and egg whites and beat for another 4-5 minutes.
5. Spoon the topping mixture over the apples and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
6. Garnish with crushed walnuts