Updated: Oct 11, 2019
My healthy lasagna recipe has all of the goodness of classic lasagna, but is also loaded with extra vegetables and gut healing bone broth. I use Best of the Bone all-natural grass-fed beef bone broth concentrate that is a true collagen, mineral and amino acid-rich living gelatin.
Bone broth has been shown to treat and heal gut problems, supports weight loss, increase bone density, improve joint conditions, improve muscle tone and mass, improves hair, skin and nail health and boosts your immune system.
I N G R E D I E N T S
250g grass-fed beef or veal mince
I packet of fresh lasagna sheets ( Make sure they are preservative free, I like La famiglia Egg Lasagna Sheets from Coles)
1 small onion, grated
1 small zucchini, grated
1 medium carrot, grated
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
1/4 cup organic tomato puree
2 tablespoons bone broth concentrate
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cheese (optional)
Fresh basil to garnish
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon emmer wheat flour
Pinch of seaweed salt
1 cup milk of choice, (I use almond milk)
M E T H O D
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a large fry pan, gently saute onion and garlic in the olive oil, after 1 minute add mince, breaking up any chunks with a fork as it browns. Add grated zucchini and carrot.
3. Add paprika powder, oregano, bone broth and tomato paste, saute on a low heat for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add tomato puree, parsley and water, cover & gently simmer for 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. To make bechamel sauce melt butter in a small saucepan, add emmer flour and stir until it thickens. Add milk and stir whilst it simmers for 5-10 minutes until sauce thickens.
6. To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan 20 x 25 cm.
7. Place lasagna sheet on top, spread a spoonful of bechamel sauce over the sheet. Add spoonfuls of mince mixture over the bechamel sauce. Repeat until you have used up all the lasagna sheets.
6. For the final topping, spread spoonful of mince mixture, bechamel sauce & optional cheese. Add a little boiled water around the edges of the lasagna to to keep it moist whilst baking.
8. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for approx 45 minutes, uncovered for the last 20 minutes. Allow to cool and garnish with fresh basil.