Where possible, I like to avoid hydrogenated fats or manufactured trans fats found in deep fried or baked goods, margarine as well as seed & vegetable oils.
This is because their structure can be highly unstable in the presence of heat, light or oxygen and can turn rancid, causing them to be highly inflammatory. This can lead to hormonal imbalances and chronic health conditions.
Most of the time I make dough and pastries from scratch. Pretty much all of the store bought varieties have some sort of vegetable oil or canola oil added. I love baking and experimenting in the kitchen. However, when I do find a store bought product that ticks all my real food boxes I get excited!
The moment I laid eyes on the Caremes brand puff pastries, I knew what I wanted to make - sausage rolls! I avoid traditional puff pastry as they have preservatives and vegetable oils added.
I love using Spelt flour, particularly because it is an ancient grain of wheat, low in gluten and high in B vitamins. Enjoy making these healthy sausage rolls.
Healthy Sausage Rolls
Carême Spelt or Butter Puff Pastry
500 grams turkey mince
1 medium carrot, grated
1 small onion, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
6 medium mushrooms, finely diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon bone broth concentrate
1/2 cup cheese (optional)
1 free range egg
1 tablespoon milk of choice
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons sesame seeds
1. Thaw pastry.
2. In a fry pan add olive oil, fry onion and garlic on medium heat.
3. Add in carrot, mushrooms and bone broth and continue to fry for 3 minutes, allow to cool.
4. Combine mince, parsley, cheese and cooled onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Lay out pastry horizontally on a flat surface. Spoon mince mixture into 3 vertical long sausage shape rows and then cut the pastry along those rows.
6. Prepare egg wash by whisking egg and milk together in a small bowl. Brush around the edges with a little egg wash.
7. Roll up pastry to enclose filling, finishing seam side down. Cut into 3 or 4 short pieces depending on how big you would like your sausage rolls to be.
8. Place pieces, seam side down on prepared tray, 2 cm apart, brush with egg wash and garnish with sesame seeds.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.